Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Some important things I've learned...OR Week 1 of Insanity

1.  Even if you are 15-20 lbs overweight, you can still climb Half Dome successfully.  And you won't even die.

2.  Even if you are exercising regularly, this does NOT mean that you won't gain weight if you are eating like your teenage kids.  You will, especially if you're over 40.  Ice cream and fried food doesn't get balanced out, and neither does chocolate.  Not even dark chocolate that you eat while telling yourself it's for the antioxidants. That weight creeps up when you least expect it.  Especially if, like me, you refuse to weigh yourself regularly because doing so (sadly) has the power to ruin my day.  Working on that part.

3.  I am SUPER disciplined if I'm on some kind of nutrition "program."  I have will power of steel.  I can turn down the most decadent dessert or the most amazing-looking cream-based pasta and sauce.  However, all that goes right out the window if I'm not on a nutrition program of some kind.  I revert back to all kinds of crazy when it comes to food.  Therefore, I need to be on a nutrition program, not only for my weight, but for my overall health and energy level.  Did I mention I have teenage kids I have to keep up with?

4.  Working out with your husband is WAY more fun and motivating than working out on your own.  This is how James and I managed, in our "early" 40's, to get through two rounds of P90X last year AND to the top of a few giant mountains this year (two major hikes in Tahoe before we did the Half Dome hike).  We have dabbled in "Insanity,"  never getting through the whole program, something would come up with our schedules, we'd be travelling, things got too busy, etc.  So we started again, with the nutrition plan and everything, this Monday.  We weighed ourselves (ugh), took the requisite measurements, took "before" pictures (which I will NOT be posting, thank you very much), and took the "fit test" that is the beginning of the program; it helps you track your progress in stamina and fitness.  We are determined to make it through the whole 9 weeks in a row.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, they say weight management is like 20% exercise, 80% diet. It'd be nice if those numbers were switched.

    ReplyDelete